Celeriac and parsnip soup
With crispy fried onion
- Prepare the vegetables. Peel the celeriac and the parsnips. Cut them in 2-3cm chunks. Slice the leek.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the vegetables and the salt. Cover and stew over a low heat for 10-15 minutes stirring from time to time.
- Pour in the stock and the milk, increase the heat and bring the soup to boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 25 - 30 minutes until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the onion. Coat it with the flour. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan. Drop the onions in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove the onions from the saucepan and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with salt.
- Blend the soup until very smooth. Serve it sprinkled with the fried onion and/or chives.
Hmmm...yummy. Especially the crispy onion. It was the first time I did it myself and I was really happy with the result.
You know that you actually have a chance to try the soup? I'll be cooking it based on the organic ingredients provided by reason2.be during the amazing Sunbeams Tree Planting Event 2012. Participating, you can contribute to a tree planting campaign of the Jane Goodall Institute in Congo (Africa). Check the sunbeams website for more information and join us on Sunday 18 March!