Spotted rhubarb and strawberry cake
Fantastic with all seasonal fruits
- Preheat the oven to 180°. Line a cake pan with bakery paper.
- Separate whites from yolks. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff, white peaks (2-3 minutes approximately). Continue to whisk, gradually add the sugar until the mixture is stiff and glossy (5-10 minutes approximately). Add the yolks, one by one, whisking gently until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, the baking powder and the vanilla sugar. Gradually add the mixture to the beaten eggs stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the melted butter and stir until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the rhubarb slices on top of the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Decorate the cake with icing sugar before serving.
I think I've baked it already 5 times this season and I never have enough. The cake is moist even after 3 days and it's so delicious!!! It'll work fantastic with any seasonal fruits: blueberries, peaches, raspberries and all possible combinations. I make it sometimes only with rhubarb, lemon zest and decorated with loads of icing sugar - a perfect balance of sweet and sour.