Celeriac, apples and walnuts in an incredible combination
- Prepare the apples. Peel them, cut out the cores, cut into cubes, mix with half the lemon juice.
- Prepare the celeriac. Peel the root and put it for a minute into boiling water. Cut it into thin bars. Add to apples and mix with the rest of lemon juice.
- Prepare the raisins and walnuts. Brown the walnuts in a frying pan. Put the raisins into boiling water and set aside for 3 minutes. Drain them and add to vegetables together with the walnuts.
- Mix mayonnaise with yogurt and add to the bowl.
- Mix the salad. Add the rocket. Sprinkle the salad with freshly ground black pepper and cinnamon. Mix everything together. Serve decorated with crushed red pepper, walnuts and rocket salad.
I must admit it's one of my winter's favorites. I'm not a huge fan of celeriac, but the combination of all these ingredients gives an incredibly delicious and surprising taste. Ideal for a healthy snack or a light dinner. If you want something heartier you can add some steamed chicken or turkey. Try replacing raisins with red grapes or adding pieces of oranges. It all goes well together.
The original recipe is quite old. It was invented in 1860s at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City.